ABOUT US

Bnei Darom

WHO ARE WE?

Bnei Darom

The Flow of Immigration from Latin America has been a continuous one since the founding of Israel in 1948. Since the 90's the flow has had spikes due to political and economic events in Latin America. However, in 2015 the number of Brazilian Olim hit a new record with 486 immigrants.

Research of Latin American Olim between 1919 and 2015 has shown that approximately 110,000 Latin Americans have moved to Israel.

However, when the number of Olim that Return to their native countries is analyzed, a shocking pattern is seen. According to the Israeli National Statistics office in the period between 1996 and 2009 28,384 Latin Americans arrived in Israel. During the same period approximately 12,700 Left Israel making the actual number of Olim in Israel 15,684. This means that only 55% managed to successfully Immigrate and integrate in Israel. Moreover, of the 45% that did return 76% were new immigrants.

If anything the data shows that the beginning of the Immigration process is a crucial point to determine a successful absorption into society. The ministry of Immigration and absorption states that Latin Americans biggest difficulties are language acquisition (70% have difficulty) and insertion into the work force (62% have difficulty).

Difficulty in Language acquisition also affects other areas of day to day life. Even though 82% of successful Olim feel happy with their absorption and 62% feel that Israel is their home the satisfaction with social and cultural life is a mere 40% of satisfaction.

Research done by the Ruppin Academic Center stated that only 12.6% of Olim between 2002 and 2010 have a friend base mainly of Native Israelis, while the other 87.4% of all Olim have a friend base mainly of other Olim.

It is due to this unfortunate scenario that Bnei Darom was created. Our goal is to raise the percent of successful Latin American Immigration stimulating more Aliyah and developing a receptive atmosphere for Olim once they have immigrated to Israel.

The activities’ scope includes:

Development of teaching materials for educational institutions in Latin America

Publication of articles focused on Hasbara (public relations efforts to counter biased attitudes of the international press regarding Israel) in an exclusive blog

Organizing and supporting the structuring of Latin American communities in various cities of Israel

Management and support of exchange programs developed for young people in search of Jewish education, spiritual growth and absorption in Israel

You are donating to :

How much would you like to donate?
$10 $20 $30
Would you like to make regular donations? I would like to make donation(s)
How many times would you like this to recur? (including this payment) *
Name *
Last Name *
Email *
Phone
Address
Additional Note
Loading...